Early Victor Harbor Stations
The original station at Victor Harbor when the horsetram arrived in 1864 consisted of
stables, a courtyard and a small covered platform for the passenger cars. The adjacent photo,
taken about 1880, shows a horse car about to leave Victor Harbor en-route to Port Elliot. On
the left are the wool stores, the Stationmaster’s house is on the right, and the line to the
island passes the stone goods shed built in 1864 that today houses the SA Whale Museum.
Beyond the station, Victoria Pier, the main working pier for the town, was extended to
Granite Island in 1875 and the railway lines extended to the island wharves and a breakwater
constructed to protect the anchorage.
In 1886 the station received its first upgrade with a typical wooden office struture of the
period being built at a cost of £287.
Locomotive Servicing Facilities
Locomotives were initially turned on a triangle at the eastern entrance to the station yard.
The apex of the triangle extended down towards the beach near today’s bowling green.
Around 1900 a small 50ft turntable was relocated from Middleton and installed together with
a small locomotive servicing shed between the site of the present station and goods shed in what
is now the station carpark on Railway Terrace
In 1908 the loco depot was relocated back towards the Pt Elliot end of the yard, and a two
track shed, servicing pit, a coal stage, an overhead water tank and two water columns were
The two track shed was demolished and replaced by the single track shed shown in the photo
above in 1938.
The shed, the water tank and columns were eventually removed when steam services ceased
in 1962. SteamRanger has recommissioned the inspection pit and uses it regularly
to drop ashes and service its steam locomotives between movements.
Today’s 85ft electric turntable opposite the loco depot was installed in 1925.
turntable is in regular use and is capable of turning “520”, the largest of the SteamRanger
locos. Our photo shows Rx207 being turned in January 2004
(Photo: Kevin Marzahn)
Today's impressive heritage listed brick station was built in 1926.
The adjacent hand operated
crossing gates at Coral St are the last of their type in the State and the old railwaymen’s
barracks at Eyre Terrace have been retained for use by rostered SteamRanger volunteers who need
to stay in the area overnight. Trains entering the yard are controlled by a vintage semaphore
“home” signal located near the turntable.
Concept plans were released in 2003 for the station environs to be redeveloped as part of a
tourism initiative sponsored by the local Council. The turntable may eventually be relocated
near the old goods shed and improved access paths developed linking the main shopping area with
the foreshore gardens through the station area..